Just an Incoherent Thought Dump

I've been reading about learning lately. The Lord throughout the scriptures implores us to gain knowledge. Elder Bednar makes a great distinction between knowledge and intelligence. Knowledge is the information itself, the facts, the history, the structure, etc. Intelligence is the action based on the knowledge gained. We are to act with intelligence as created beings with agency. Are we acting on our intelligence? Are we acting at all? Or are we being acted upon?

I feel like social media is such an excellent tool that the adversary uses to make sure we are acted upon. We so allow ourselves to be influenced and swayed with every "wind of doctrine," or major trend, or deprecating comparison, that our actions become determined by whatever is being touted as "relevant." I am not immune to this brainwashing. I quit and join and quit and join so often, I forget where I've got an active account, and where I've taken a break. I join with the desire to keep in touch, but end up quitting because I'm addicted to comparing myself to everyone in every beautiful situation that gets posted. And it makes me miserable. I quit because I end up feeling sorry for myself because my life is far from the perfection that everyone else seems to have achieved. I'm not an idiot, either. I know that behind the camera, everyone is going through stuff. Everyone has struggles, whether they are visible or not. The trouble is, it's not acceptable to post the struggles. And frankly, I am a silent sufferer. I've never EVER been one to reach out when I'm going through something, so when I see other people do it, it makes me uncomfortable. How dare you encroach on the beautiful facade we've created with your reality? I am part of the toxic issue; I don't want to see your struggle because it makes me uncomfortable in my own.

Which means, I am absolutely full of judgement. I sit in my courtroom and decide who is worthy and unworthy, and really, everyone else comes out on top. I am the one who is guilty, the one who is flawed, the one who is unworthy. As my own worst critic, I will be the last one to say that I deserve grace. I deserve to be happy every day. Strictly based on the fact that I exist, I am a worthwhile human being. These are things that I never tell myself. At what point have we decided that our worth and happiness depends on what other people are doing or saying? Why are we so quick to base our own value on the value that others place on the facade we put on for the world? Why do we let ourselves be acted upon?

It's time to start using our intelligence. Take the knowledge we've gained and use it for the good of all mankind by acting on what we know.

Maybe I'm just talking to myself. Time to start acting on what I know. I actually know quite a few things. I guess we'll see what happens.

Comments

Popular Posts